DIY moves have attracted different opinions over the years, and it has certainly gotten its fair share of criticism. However, the fact remains that this moving option is one of the best and is very efficient too. No doubt, it has its disadvantages. But then, the advantages have proven to be far more significant. Apart from the fact that it is way more affordable, you also get to be in charge of the entire moving process and can conduct it to a convenient schedule.
One challenge associated with this moving option, however, is finding an ideal moving truck to hire. No doubt, the availability of different options has made the process easier and more complicated at the same time. On the one hand, finding a less expensive moving truck hire becomes easier. But on the other hand, you may be unable to tell which rental service will best suit your moving needs. Here, this article will explain the concept of moving truck rentals and how to go about the process. So, ensure to read till the end for more eye-opening information.
What Is a Moving Truck Rental?
A truck is a large vehicle with a specious covered body designed to transport goods and properties from place to place. Well, since you likely do not have one of these parked in your garage, there are only a few ways to obtain one for your DIY move. A truck rental company is a company that has several moving trucks that they rent out to customers for specific prices.
Depending on their policies, these companies usually calculate rental fees per hour or day. Also, you will be required to pay an additional fee if you do not return the truck by the agreed-upon time. Renting a truck is a much cheaper alternative to buying one, and it’s the perfect option since it is likely to be a one-time move.
What To Consider When Choosing a Moving Truck Rental
It doesn’t take much effort to find a moving truck rental anymore, as there are many options available today. In fact, you only need to search online, and you’ll have dozens of moving truck companies at your service. But while this has simplified the process, it has also made it more difficult to identify which of these companies provide ideal services. Well, here are some things to consider to help you select the most appropriate moving truck rental for you.
- What You Need: The straightforward answer will be a “moving truck,” but it is much more complicated than that. Yes, you want a moving truck. But then, you must first decide what type of moving truck you want, the size, specifications, etc. The nature of the items you wish to move will decide which type of truck you need, while the quality will give an insight into the size of truck to hire.
- Cost: The fact that price should never be the major influence on your decision does not mean you should not consider it during the decision-making process. Except you are willing to overstretch your budget, it would be wise to consider the price factor. However, you should always prioritize quality of service over price.
- Company Policies: In this case, the company policy refers to the rules of engagement and the terms of service offered by the company. Ideally, these policies act as a guideline on how the company will treat its customers. It typically includes rates, rental duration, and consequences of late return. So, when choosing a moving company, it is best to compare their policies and opt for the one that best fits your moving needs.
- Special Services: Another interesting term to consider when choosing a moving truck rental is special services. They are like bonus services that accompany the moving truck you have rented, and they can help you get maximum value for your money. For example, some moving truck companies can send a driver, while others may be willing to throw in a few moving materials. Whichever it may be, these special services can go a long way to help you save time and resources.
- Seasonal Offers: Last but not least, you want to check their information for seasonal offers. Indeed, moving is the same all year round, but some moving companies do not mind reducing their prices or increasing their quality of service during special holidays. If you can discover these seasonal offers, then you can schedule your move to take full advantage of them.
Other notable things to consider when choosing a moving truck rental company include their terms and conditions, online discounts, refund services, and weekend promos, among others.
Expert Tips for Renting a Moving Truck
Choosing the right truck rental company is critical for a seamless move, but it doesn’t guarantee success. Other factors come to play to decide whether your move will be successful, one of which includes how you go about your truck hire. Here are a few expert tips for renting a moving truck.
- Book Early: This is a no-brainer and applies to almost all rentals. Sometimes, rental companies can get all booked out, depending on the demands they get in the specific period. So, if you don’t want to end up with a disappointment that will ruin your moving plans, it would be best to book a truck earlier and ensure its availability.
- Avoid Old/Rusty Trucks: One mistake DIY movers usually make opting for a cheaper truck and not minding its condition. If you want a smooth moving process, you should never compromise the quality of the truck in favor of saving cost, and here’s why. If you opt for an old or rusty truck, there’s no guarantee that it will get you to your destination without breaking down. On the other hand, you can rest assured of a successful move with a quality and well-maintained truck.
- Hire a Driver: If you do not have prior experience driving bigger trucks or do not fancy your chances, it may be best to hire a truck driver. Driving a truck is much different from driving a car, and it would be wrong to handle a moving truck without enough experience. Hiring a driver might mean throwing in a few more bucks than planned, but it’s certainly better to be safe than sorry.
Renting a moving truck sounded easy enough, but it’s not always the case. If you don’t plan for this process, it can turn out to be more challenging than you imagined. Here, this article has highlighted some expert tips and factors to consider when renting a moving truck for your DIY move. No doubt, the tips in this article will help to make the process a breeze for you.