Are you planning to move to a new apartment or office space? Well, change can be interesting sometimes, especially if you are moving to a better place than you previously stayed. However, one thing that always discourages people from moving to new places is the moving process itself. It’s no secret that moving can be a very demanding task, and it can get overwhelming sometimes. For this reason, some people usually opt to hire a moving company to oversee the whole process on their behalf.
Hiring a full-time moving company has its advantages, as the company will help you with everything from packing and boxing to loading and offloading. However, the disadvantage of this moving option is that it can be expensive and even unaffordable sometimes. Luckily, there are other affordable moving options, and this article will consider the option of DIY moving. Read on to discover how to go about hiring a moving truck for your DIY moving process.
What Does DIY Moving to Entail?
“DIY” simply stands for “do it yourself, “meaning that you intend to carry out a task all by yourself. That said, DIY moving is a bold and adventurous task that entails carrying out a moving process yourself. The concept of a DIY move has always scared many people, but it can also be fun if you know how to do it. This process prohibits you from hiring professional help or expert movers to assist you. However, you can invite friends and family to help you with a thing or two, especially with the heavy lifting that may be impossible to handle alone.
When it comes to DIY moving, you are usually presented with two truck options. You can hire a truck with a driver or rent a moving truck and handle the driving yourself. If you do not intend to spend much on this process, you may want to rent a moving truck without a driver, as it is cheaper than the other option. DIY moving also requires you to offload the truck when you get to your new place, but this is usually among the last steps in a DIY move.
What are the Benefits of DIY Moving?
DIY moving, like other options, has its advantages and disadvantages. While people are often scared away by the prospect of taking on such an overwhelming task, it is worth knowing that the pros of a DIY move far outweigh the cons. Here is a look at some of the outstanding benefits of DIY moving.
- Saves Cost: One of the most critical benefits of DIY moving is that it helps you save lots of money. If you are on a tight budget and you are looking to cut down on costs, the DIY move is your best option. Unlike professional moving, which usually costs a fortune, you don’t have to spend much to complete a DIY move. All you need to pay for is a moving truck, and you are good to go.
- Gives You Control: One benefit of DIY moving that is not spoken about enough is that you get to control the entire process. With professional movers, you only have a little say, as they will most likely do things their way. On the other hand, DIY moving offers you a chance to pack everything yourself in the order that you find most convenient. This means you’ll know where everything is packed and don’t need to look for them after offloading at your new place.
- Time Flexibility: If you have explored the option of a professional mover before, you already know how difficult it can be to fit into their schedule. Also, you may be required to pay more for time wasting, even after the extravagant moving fee. This is not the case with DIY moving, though, as you will completely control your time and schedule. In fact, you can choose to spread out the moving over one or two weeks or whatever is most convenient for you.
Finding the Best DIY Moving Truck Rental Company
One challenge often associated with DIY moving is finding the ideal truck rental company to patronize. The availability of several options also adds to the dilemma, as narrowing them down to one becomes even more challenging. The best way to sort this out, however, is by comparing their qualities. Here are some things to consider when choosing a DIY moving truck hire.
- Variety of Truck Sizes: Finding the appropriate truck size for your move is crucial, as anything else may not be fitting. A larger truck will require you to pay more, while a smaller one may not contain your items. But then, if a rental company has a variety of truck sizes available, it becomes easier to choose the perfect one.
- Flexible Policies: A moving truck rental company with rigid policies can limit your options and force you into an uncomfortable schedule. This will, in turn, defeat the idea of being in control of your move and leave you with many inconveniences.
- Truck Availability: Nobody likes to be stuck in a situation where they can’t do what they want when they want it. After all, that’s the whole idea of a DIY move. So, it is better to choose a company that can ensure truck availability whenever you need it.
- Supplementary Packages: Some moving truck rental companies often supply supplementary services such as moving supplies and packing equipment. Choosing a company with this package will help you save the money and time required to obtain these supplies yourself.
Comparing Rental Truck Options
While planning your DIY move, you should note that there are several truck options to hire, depending on what you intend to move. Here are some of the most significant rental truck options.
- Pick-up Truck: This seemingly smaller truck is used for moving small loads from place to place. This truck is hardly utilized for moving purposes, except in cases where the items to be moved are not much.
- Trailer Truck: If you are planning a full-scale move with large furniture and other items, this truck is your best option. Although it comes in different sizes, it is usually large and has enough space to contain all your loads.
- Refrigerated Trucks: If you intend to move large-scale frozen goods that you want to stay frozen, you may need a refrigerated truck. This truck’s refrigerated functionality helps keep items frozen for as long as the trip requires, so you don’t risk losing valuable goods.
DIY moves are often stressful and overwhelming, but knowing how to go about it can help reduce the stress involved. One way to achieve this is by getting the best moving truck hire, and this article has explained the processes involved.