A move can be expensive or cheap, but the consensus for many people is that a move is demanding. It demands time, money, and effort, although the demand for money or effort depends on how the move is organized. About the opinion of a move being expensive/costly, In most cases, we find the homeowner to be at fault. This is because they either do not pay more attention to the little activities they can engage in to make a move less expensive or conduct the move in a rush.
When it comes to a move, there are activities the homeowner can engage in to reduce costs. Also, conducting a move days before the moving date does not help costs because you will be working with limited moving resources. Hence, a move can be expensive or costly when its organizer(s) do not do the right things.
As mentioned earlier, there are activities many move organizers do not pay attention to that inflate moving costs. Some of them include procrastinating and postponing moving preparations until a few days before the moving date or not defining the type of move they intend to organize. This article will teach you how to save money and reduce costs for a move by outlining eight vital saving tips when moving.
These Removal Truck Hire tips include:
- Plan ahead: Remember, one reason for an expensive move is organizing the move in a hurry. This is because a sudden move is accompanied by unplanned spending; thus, you plan to avoid unplanned expenses. Planning involves:
- Defining the type of move being organized. A do-it-yourself or a hired full-service move.
- Having a schedule that outlines all activities to be conducted on the day of the move.
- Have a list of items that will be moved.
- Know the items and equipment(s) needed for the move.
- Start an early collection of boxes: Moving boxes are among the many vital items needed; thus, you must secure the needed quantity in preparation for your move. You can collect boxes from grocery stores, bars, malls, and other stores where they discard them after removing their contents. This saves you from the cost of purchasing those moving boxes, as many of these stores will be happy to give you the boxes for free. Plus, you are helping them reduce waste. However, you should ensure the boxes are in excellent condition to protect the items packed in them.
- Declutter: if you are correctly informed on how a move works, you will know that the number of items being moved influences moving fees. Hence, it is not advisable to pack items no longer in use if you want to save on moving costs. Decluttering your properties means sorting useful and needed items from unneeded items. The unneeded items can be discarded by donating them to neighbors, friends, and families or selling them for little earnings that you can use to support your move.
- Rent a truck: This tip is valuable to those who organize a do-it-yourself move as it requires you to rent a moving truck. However, you should conduct your assignment to save costs when renting a truck. Your assignment involves:
- Create a list of companies you can enquire about a truck rental from.,
- Knowing the ideal season to book a truck because there are times when truck rentals are at a peak, and the price are increased,
- How does the rental company charge for a truck rental? If they charge by mileage or by time,
- Checking if the company provides property insurance for the truck’s contents In case of any damage.
- Check if you have auto insurance and property insurance. Auto insurance for the rented truck and property insurance for your belongings.
- Check if the truck being rented is in excellent working condition.
- Storage: Hiring a storage facility might seem unnecessary, but it is helpful. This is because you secure a place to store valuable items so they do not get damaged while planning the move. However, the option of a storage facility can prove unwise if you fail to research the facility adequately. You should check how secure the facility is, how the storage facility works when it concerns accessing stored items before the pickup date, the charging system the storage facility operates with, and the availability of insurance on stored items Incase of unplanned events.
- Careful packing of fragile belongings: If the move is a full-service move, the moving company arrives with moving equipment(s) that protect valuables when packed. However, these equipment(s) can be expensive if you purchase them for a do-it-yourself move. Hence, it is advisable to go for alternative options to protect your valuables when packing. Some alternatives include using blankets, sheets, clothes, ink-free paper, and more to wrap valuables before packing them in a moving box. You should ensure the alternatives used provide enough padding to absorb the pressure from moving from one place to another, thereby protecting the valuable items.
- Changing utilities and addresses: You will be changing residence soon and want your address to change on your utility bills. If the address remains unchanged after you have moved, you are at a disadvantage because you will be paying for utility services you did not use, increasing your moving expenses. Hence, you are advised to check in with your utility providers and ensure the service provided is within the day of your move. It is best to subscribe to a plan that runs until a day before your leave because you will not have to worry about utility bills running even after you have moved.
Upon moving, you are advised to update your address on your credit cards, utility service providers, and more so they know of your move. Plus, do the same for your new location so they will be aware of the presence of a new resident. Please ensure to pay for utilities in your new apartment before moving in so you will have utilities to work with when you move in.
- Pack and clean your properties yourself: There is a reason a full-service move costs more than a do-it-yourself move. The full-service move involves professional movers who are paid by the hour for their effort, and a do-it-yourself move involves you performing moving activities yourself. Hence, f you truly wish to cut costs, you should opt for a do-it-yourself move, and you can recruit the help of friends, families, and neighbors to make a move less stressful.
We can go on and on about tips that can help save costs when moving, but those outlined above are top-notch and sure to help save costs. However, it is essential to mention that these tips are helpful when you (the move’s organizer) are willing to dedicate the time and effort required to make a move a success.